Networking Groups are AFP Genesee Valley Chapter’s answer to providing opportunities for fundraisers to meet and discuss specific topics. All of our networking groups are open to both members and non-members.
There are currently several networking groups in the chapter:
Capital Campaigns - a forum for people who are undertaking a capital campaign project. The format of the gathering is informal and interactive: where the conversation leads is up to the attendees. Karen Higman, consultant from SBS Fund Counsel, is the group moderator. The Networking Group is BYOB (buy your own bagel) and it will meet roughly every other month, and meetings are held from 7:45 - 8:45 a.m. at Panera Bread at Brighton 12 Corners on Monroe Avenue.
Our 2015 meetings will be held on:
- January 16
- February 20
- March 20
- April 17
- May 15
- June 19
- July/August - NO MEETINGS
For more information, please contact the group moderator, Karen Higman, via email email@example.com or by phone at 585-880-1386.
Senior Advancement Professionals (SAP) is the counterpart to the YP networking group, and is for seasoned fundraising professionals who support the efforts of a nonprofit, whether as part of their job description or in a volunteer role. The goal is to provide an opportunity to share unique concerns with peers who have already made longstanding commitments to nonprofits, the philanthropic community and/or the development profession. There is no cost to participate, and both AFP members and non-members are welcome to attend meetings. Participants may self-identify as a SAP member, based on either of these suggested criteria:
- Identify oneself as a senior, seasoned or advanced fundraising professional
- Have 15 to 20+ years experience in the fundraising profession
- The group also welcomes those who are transitioning into the profession from a prior career
The 2015 meetings of this group will be held on:
- Wednesday, February 4 at Pomodoro’s on University, 5 – 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 7 at the United Way, 12 - 1:30 p.m.
Deb Koen, Career Strategist, will facilitate a conversation about issues and topics related to seniors in the workplace (Note: None of us are really seniors, we just hold senior positions!)
- Thursday, May 21 at Mario's Restaurant, 2740 Monroe Avenue, 5 - 6:30 p.m. (Happy Hour)
- Wednesday, October 7: Happy Hour (5:00 - 6:30 p.m.) at Amore (inside Wegmans), 1750 East Ave, Rochester, NY 14610
RSVP online: http://whoozin.com/AAQ-N6H-3NW4
- Tuesday, November 17: Happy Hour (4:30 - 6:00 p.m.) at Grappa, 30 Celebration Drive, Rochester, NY 14620
RSVP online: (coming soon)
The group will be facilitated by Melinda Goldberg, who refers to herself as an experienced marketing and development professional. She may be reached at RaisingFundsNY@gmail.com.
Solo Shops - The AFPGV Solo Shops Networking Group is comprised of fundraising professionals who are the only fundraiser in their non-profit organization. It is open to AFPGV members and non-members too and there is no fee to join. Fundraisers in a "solo shop" have unique concerns, questions, and opportunities. The Group was created to allow for networking and sharing between and among solo shop fundraisers.
All meetings are held at the United Way of Greater Rochester offices (75 College Avenue) from noon until 1:30 PM. Bring a brown bag lunch and join us.
The 2015 meetings of this group are:
- January 7 - Topic: My Solo Shop's New 2015 Initiatives
- March 4 - Topic: The Advantages of Being a Solo Shop Fundraiser
- May 6 - Topic: Recruiting and Working with Volunteers
- September 2 - Topic: Partnering With Other Non-Profits
- November 4 - Topic: What I’m doing by year’s end to make 2015 a success.
John Williams, Development Director of ImageOut, is the facilitator of the Solo Shops Networking Group. Please rsvp to John at firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to attend a Solo Shops meeting.
Special Note: Please share this information with other Solo Shop fundraisers. They are welcome to attend the meetings of this Group.
Young Professionals Networking Group (YPNG) - is for young professionals at all experience levels that support the fundraising efforts of a nonprofit, whether as part of their job description or as a volunteer fundraiser.
YPNG provides a forum for participants to network, discuss, and share information with their peers and hold open conversations about the unique concerns and opportunities young professionals face in the field. The group may also invite special guests (of any age) to speak on a specific topic of interest or as an informal mentoring/networking opportunity. The group primarily meets over lunch.
- Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 12:30pm - Lunch at Napa Fire Wood Pizzeria (573 S. Clinton Avenue - http://napawoodfired.com/)
RSVP online at: http://whoozin.com/YXJ-3UT-9EHP
- Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 5:30pm - Happy Hour at Salenas Mexican Restaurant (302 N Goodman Street - http://www.salenas.com/). RSVP online at: http://whoozin.com/3WW-G9X-M74P
- Monday, March 23, 2015 at 12:30pm - Lunch at Aladdin’s Natural Eatery (200 Park Point - http://myaladdins.com/park_point.html). RSVP online at: http://whoozin.com/HRN-JAD-M3JX
- Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 12:30pm - Brown Bag Lunch - WXXI (280 State Street, Rochester, NY 14603) in the 4th Floor Board Room. Join the YP Networking Group for a brown bag lunch discussion about career development. We’ll have three guest panelists, all development professionals, ready to answer questions and share advice on establishing a career in fundraising. Panelists include:
Bonnie Butkas, Director of Development at Geva Theatre Center
Meghan Palumbo, Director of Development at Center for Youth
Tracy Schleyer, Vice President of Development at ABVI-Goodwill
Brad Schreiber, Senior Director of Advancement at The College at Brockport
RSVP online at http://whoozin.com/DQQ-TPD-6AWG
- Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 12:30pm - Lunch at Leo’s Bakery & Deli (101 Despatch Road - http://www.leoselite.com/#)
RSVP online at http://whoozin.com/9Y4-GM7-CWYP
- Wednesday, July 8, 2015 at 5:30pm - Happy Hour at Victoire Belgian Beer Bar & Bistro (120 East Avenue - http://victoirebar.com/). RSVP online at: http://whoozin.com/GGA-JRK-CYUC
Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 12:30pm - Lunch at Back Nine (3500 East Ave - www.thebackninegrill.com).
RSVP online at: http://whoozin.com/UNR-VJ6-7HYT
Wednesday, September 9, 2015 at 5:30pm - Happy Hour at Ox and Stone (282 Alexander Street - www.oxandstone.com)
RSVP online at: http://whoozin.com/M3A-6HR-DUQX
Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 12:30pm - Lunch at Full Belly Deli (1225 Jefferson Rd - www.thefullbellydeli.com)
RSVP online at: http://whoozin.com/QWU-GKA-CWRX
In order to participate, you must be under 40 and interested in further developing your career in fundraising or the success of a nonprofit’s fundraising efforts. YPNG is open to AFPGV members and non-members and there is no fee to participate.
Members are required to pay for their own meal. If you are planning on attending for any date, email the group’s co-moderators, Danielle Abramson Swartz (email@example.com) and/or Emily Marullo (firstname.lastname@example.org), in advance because some locations require a reservation. Please note the meetings times vary.
For more information, or to be added to the email list for this group, contact the co-moderators.